Saturday, March 8, 2014

Learning to use balsamic vinegar

I have been quite uninspired in the kitchen lately.  I feel that this is probably due to the fact that I'm feeding three teen girls and a pre-teen boy which basically equals a locust swarm.  However, yesterday, after three days of torrential rain (which we desperately needed), I decided I needed to hit the grocery store for fresh produce.  I wandered the produce aisle with pulled pork as my entree in mind.  The locust won't eat asparagus.  The locusts have eaten a lot of green beans lately and probably need some different nutrients.  The locusts will eat whatever fruit I place before them, so I picked three awesomely huge Pink Lady apples and several bananas.  I continued my search for vegetables.  I found some beautiful brussels sprouts, but knowing only half of us would eat them, I picked up some cucumbers and tomatoes.  

To prepare the brussels sprouts, I quartered them and dumped them into a skillet.  I drizzled some olive oil, garlic, and basalmic vinegar over and sauteed them.  I have to say, those were the best sprouts I've ever eaten.  And foo on the locusts for they don't know what's truly tasty. Or, maybe, Hunh. That's more for me.

My vinegar has been around since Stonehenge was built, so I'm planning on a fresh bottle next grocery day and more experiments.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/207306389069896283/

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/207306389068992086/

    Those are two of my favorite balsamic recipes. I also got some super thin steak and cooked it in a sauce of balsamic, garlic, onion, and brown sugar until the steak was cooked and the sauce is all gooey and served it on a salad with honey mustard dressing. Its delicious too.

    ReplyDelete