Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Homemade General Tso's Chicken


Alright, the amounts are going to be total guesses. I didn't measure anything and was using a few different recipes to figure out what to do so just taste the sauce and see what you think.

Chop up a chicken breast into pieces whatever size you like. I did chunks, my dad did big strips.

Mix together 3 eggs and about 1/2c corn starch. Dip the chicken in that batter and fry in some oil until golden and cooked inside.

For the sauce. Saute some minced garlic (maybe a teaspoon) in some oil. If you have real ginger or whole dried chilies saute that. I used powdered and paste. When the garlic is cooked add 1/4c water, maybe 1 tsp? chili paste (I added WAY too much the first time so if you don't like spicy start slow and add more from there. I added a couple tablespoons and had to double the rest of the ingredients and it was still pretty hot), 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 4 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger. Stir and lightly simmer until it reduces a bit. Because I didn't want a ton of sugar it won't thicken all the way so I added a dash of corn starch to it. If you add more sugar it should gel when cooked.


I'm pretty sure thats everything I did. Like I said, I don't measure anything. I just grab a spoon and scoop stuff. So taste it and adjust to your tastes. You want a little tang (the vinegar), a little spice and a little sweet. Also, I should have doubled how much sauce I made. This was enough to coat the chicken, but I wanted more to cover my broccoli and rice. You could probably vary this recipe a lot. Add pineapple juice, more vinegar, and less spice for more of a sweet and sour, no spice and orange zest and orange juice for more of an orange chicken. I might have to try more stuff with it. The batter is awesome too. Very similar to a beer batter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment