Thursday, November 15, 2012

Perfect Crock Pot Ribs!

So I made ribs yesterday in a crock pot and they actually turned out perfect! Its a first for me. Normally when I cook meat in a crock pot all the excess water in the meat comes out and doesn't burn away so the meat basically boils which is just terrible if you're wanting a "roast". The other issue I have is I get stuck at work and the meat cooks WAY too long. Over cooked meat is just awful. Its mealy and lost all the fibers that make it meat. So I tried a couple of things differently this time.

First, get these! You still have to wash the crock pot out, but the horrible burnt on mess isn't there!



The next thing I did was look for something to hold the meat up and off the bottom. You can put potatoes and veggies down there and they'll soak up the liquid. I did that with my corned beef which was amazing. I didn't want potatoes though. I couldn't think of any other food items that would work. Then I remembered this!


My veggie steamer basket! It has little legs on it. Opens up pretty wide. And fit nicely in my crock pot. I sprayed it with olive oil and piled the ribs on it. They were still half frozen. I squirted some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce all over them. I have a simple (cheap) crock pot and hated being forced to cook food all day so I went and bought one of these for around $10. 


Its super easy to program and I can use it with  my crock pot, rice cooker, or anything. I set it to turn on the machine which was set to high at 11am and turn off at 5pm. I got home about 6:45 (see, stuck at work late!) and they were cooled down and quite tasty! They needed a bit more bbq sauce on them but I just opened a can of beans grabbed the sauce bottle and ate!

No comments:

Post a Comment